Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Battles & Blessings

Over the past years I've met many Pastors. I love preachers. God has given me a heart for these special men. I've met Pastors fresh out of college to those who have been at it for a long time. My favorite ones are those who smile at each new day. Their Bible pages are yellowed and dog-eared, but their spirit is childlike. What a blessing to be around. Nothing is choreographed. They are never surprised when someone finds Christ, yet amazed that God would use them in such a way. They are always fresh. The fire still burns. When they preach, their stuff is new and fresh. They know every hymn in the book but still are moved when they sing them. There is nothing canned about their ministry, it's real and powerful.

I've often wondered, why does the zeal die for some? I believe it's not a blowout rather a slow leak. The demands of the pastorate are many. The clamour for your time is commonplace. It's easy to become weary of trying to please the masses. As Jethro told Moses ,"The thing you are doing is not good, you will surely wear out."

The Bible is full of examples of those who have lost their freshness. Solomon trusted in lesser strength. Saul waffled in obedience. John Mark turned back. The sons of the prophets followed afar off. Peter let Jesus down and became discouraged. Jonah saw the storm but not the Savior. We have all been beat up by the ministry, yet the responsibility is still the same. I want to stay fresh. I often pray "God create in me a pure heart and renew a right spirit within me. Restore to me the joy of my salvation." And you know what? He always does!

There are battles and blessings in God's work. We are about to come into a time of blessing. Receive it, and ask God to keep you fresh. Please pray for me.

See you this Sunday!

Pastor

No comments:

Post a Comment