Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Preparation for the Journey

My wife and I recently took a trip to visit our daughter who is away at college. We got the suitcases out and excitedly packed for a four day excursion. My wife packed like she was going for 6 months! But that's another story.

I packed my clothes and a few necessities. Then I packed a few things I thought I might need; The camera, fishing rod, a book, I-Pod and the list goes on and on.

What I thought would be a simple and quick task turned into a marathon. Packing had become a minor moving job! Then a thought occured to me. If we spend this much time to get ready for a short trip, how much time should we spend to get ready for eternity? Someone has said "Life is a dress rehearsal for a role on the stage of eternity." If we are fortunate we will live to be 70 or so. If we are really blessed, we may have 80-85 years. However, sooner or later life will end. We will be in eternity forever. Think of any vast number of years you can imagine. After that time period, eternity will still last forever. The mind cannot accept it, it boggles the brain. We have no vision capable of seeing or comprehending eternity. However, according to the Bible, eternity is real and every person will spend eternity in heaven or hell.

Therefore, in light of the length and importance of the trip, a man would be hard put to spend too little time in preparation.

How much packing time for that journey have you spent recently? Think about it. It makes sense to be prepared.

See you on Sunday!
Pastor

No comments:

Post a Comment