Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Merry Christmas!

I love Christmas! I never tire of the joys of the holiday season!

Since I was a young boy growing up in New Jersey, Christmas has been special. I still remember the Christmas Eve my Dad and I ventured out to get our tree. It was the real McCoy!

The house would be full of the aroma of fresh pine needles. Before we put the tree up we had to put down the Lionel train track. We had permanently secured the track on a large piece of plywood. It was oval, and we only brought it out of the attic for the week of Christmas. Playing with those trains is one of my fondest memories. The engine had smoke coming out of the stack. The caboose had a policeman chasing a hobo. It also had a milk car. When the train stopped, it would load and unload bottles of milk.

I also enjoyed decorating the tree. In those days we used large lights. Then, after the ornaments were carefully placed, we would cover it with tinsel. I mean the kind made out of lead. It's probably outlawed now! The finishing touch was when my Dad put the angel on top of that masterpiece. I believe he has the same angel to this day!

We would all sit around the tree and my father would read the Christmas story while we sipped on hot chocolate and listened to the crackle of the fire.

Early Christmas morning we were up opening gifts! We would each have two or three gifts. It truly was, as the song says, "The most wonderful time of the year!"

Personally, I think we all have a little child-likeness in us at this time of year. I know I do, and it is probably why I still delight in the joys of the season!

I have tried to pass along similar traditions to my children. Things change, but the story and wonder of Christmas endures.

I encourage you to establish some holiday traditions of your own. Make this season special for those around you, for it is truly a time to rejoice and celebrate! As the carol says,"Rejoice, rejoice, Immanuel has come to you O Israel!"

Christ has come to a world of folly,
Light the tree and lets be jolly!

I wish each of you dear, blessed ones the merriest Christmas ever and a blessed New Year!

See you Sunday!
Pastor








Pastor

No comments:

Post a Comment