Wednesday, February 16, 2011

The Gift of Encouragement

We all need encouragement at one time or another. We need to know that somebody cares for us and is there for us. Happy times are always more joyous when shared with a friend; sad times are more bearable when shared and shouldered with a friend.
Over and over the Bible uses the phrase,"one another". Jesus told us to weep with those who weep and rejoice with those who rejoice.

Encouragement is something that there is never enough of. The reason is simple; God made us that way. No one is an island unto themselves.

Our children need consistent, honest, encouragement in order to become well adjusted, loving, godly adults. If you are a parent one of the most important things you can do is to become a cheerleader for your children. They deserve it and the time invested in their lives will reap huge dividends.

Our spouses need encouragement. We overlook all they do and think they will be with us forever.

Our effective, timely word is valuable. A word of encouragement may be the most powerful and positive message you can send those you love.

Our employees can often wonder if they are doing a good job. Encouragement could keep a good employee and keep a company fit for service.

As a former athlete I know the coaches that took the time to encourage me got their money's worth when I took the field. My baseball coach had a way of encouragement that caused me to never want to disappoint him. When I read in a sports magazine of tragedy in his family I tried to be an encouragement, as he had been to me.

Encouragement and love. I trust at this Valentine's season that we will look closely at those around us. They don't need a boot in the tail half as much as they need a pat on the back!

I probably don't tell you enough how much of an encouragement you are to me. I know I have limitations, however, you have helped me beyond words to be what I am supposed to be. To that I say a big "Thank you!" from the bottom of my heart.
Thank you for all your many notes and expressions of love. Please know how much I appreciate you!

God bless and Lord willing I will see you Sunday!
Pastor

No comments:

Post a Comment