Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Don't Let Stress "Stress" you out!

Stress seems to be ingrained into our modern lives; its presence has become so second nature to us it is like breathing oxygen. I often wonder what life would be like without it, but I guess you could call that a real “fantasy”!

E-mails, Facebook, Twitter, doctor appointments and a long to-do list from here to eternity filled with unchecked boxes are all part of our daily reality. I often leave the office exasperated by the enormous amount of work that is still left undone, and worse, I realize the next day I will tackle all I can, but still never complete all of these tasks! Talk about stress inducing!

There was s a time in my life when I actually thrived on the pressures of my job. But that was when I was young; now that I am older (and wiser!) I recognize it for what it is: STRESSFUL! It often crashes in on me like a wave. I would love to avoid it, but I can’t.

As Christians we often believe this should not be the case; our focus should prevent stress. But being salt and light, as we’re called to be, will often introduce situations which will cause a great deal of stress. No matter our personality type, introvert or extrovert, we were never made to live life sedately. God designed us to be fully alive, and there are times when being fully alive will include stress!

However, remember that these difficulties are worth it. Our Lord Jesus told us that the sufferings of this present world cannot be compared to the glory that shall be revealed one day.

The next time you are felling overwhelmed by life’s trials, I recommend you reflect on these verses (there are many others as well!):

John 14:27: Peace I leave with you, my peace I give unto you: not as the world giveth, give I unto you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid.

John 16:33: These things I have spoken unto you, that in me ye might have peace. In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world.


So, don’t stress out. Thank God for the opportunity to serve. Glory is going to be ours. Until then let’s continue on.

God bless, see you Sunday!

Pastor

No comments:

Post a Comment