Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Amazing Grace!

The town of Olney, England is famous for two things; it is known as “The home of the world famous pancake race” and it is also the location where John Newton penned what may arguably be the most beloved hymn of all time, “Amazing Grace”. I personally know nothing of the pancake race, but I am very familiar with “Amazing Grace”.

John Newton served as Pastor for the Olney Parish Church,. They say to this day you can walk down the street past the church and see the window of the room where Newton wrote this awe inspiring hymn. I have often wondered if Newton had even the remotest sense of the emotional impact that his song would have, or that it would be sung by Christians the world over. Truth be told, I believe the reason “Amazing Grace” is so compelling to Christians is because it is the story of every one of us.
Amazing grace, how sweet the sound
That saved a wretch like me.
I once was lost, but now I’m found
Twas blind but now can see.
The older I get, the more I marvel at the wonder and magnitude surrounding God’s amazing grace. Apart from this grace, I am hopelessly lost. However, by God’s grace, I, an undeserving sinner, have been changed, I am a new creature! I am reconciled with my Heavenly Father, I am an adopted son, a co-heir with Christ!
Today, why not bow your head and thank God for all He has done for you, and most of all for His marvelous, wonderful grace that has provided us a place in heaven through Jesus Christ.

Marvelous grace of our loving Lord.
Grace that exceeds our sin and our guilt.
Yonder on Calvary’s mount outpoured.
There where the blood of the Lamb was spilt.
Grace, grace, God’s grace
Freely bestowed on all who believe.
Grace, grace ,God’s grace
Grace that is greater than all our sin.

See you Sunday!
Pastor

No comments:

Post a Comment